*CLICK ‘Planting Instructions’ FOR A PDF VERSION OF OUR PLANTING INSTRUCTIONS WITH PHOTOS* Planting Instructions
1. Dig the Hole
- Dig a hole two times the width of the root ball (Minimum 6” of space on each side)
- Dig hole no deeper than the depth of the root ball.
- If gravel, rocks, or sand is found, dig the hole much larger and amend with compost.
2. What type of soil do you have & does it drain well?
- Fill the hole with water
- If the hole drains poorly (clay soil) Drains well (loam or sandy soil)
- Make sure your plant will acclimate well if clay or very sandy soil
3. Prepare the Planting Mix.
(Professional opinions vary on the amount of organic matter to mix into the soil when planting, here’s what we recommend.)
- Separate out sod, rocks, hardpan, etc. from excavated material and prepare planting mix as follows:
(Sandy Soil) 50% New Loam, 30% Peat Moss, 20% Composted Manure
(Loamy Soil) 65% Existing Loam, 20% Peat Moss, 15% Composted Manure
(Clay Soil) 60% Existing Clay, 10% Peat Moss, 10% Composted Manure, 20% Coarse Organic (Hemlock Blend Mulch)
4. Set the plant in the hole.
- Remove plastic container from plant.
- Set the plant in the hole (make sure the plant is straight).
- The top of the root ball must be flush with or ¼” above the ground.
- If B&B untie, fold down or cut off the top 1/3 of the burlap.
- Do not bunch the burlap or leave it showing above the ground.
- The remaining burlap will decompose and the wire basket will not harm the growth of the tree.
5. Backfill and water in.
- Fill hole with water and let it drain (If clay wet edges).
- Backfill ½ way, pack down & soak to remove air pockets.
- Make sure root ball is flush with or ¼” above ground level. (If not lift the plant and add loam).
- Backfill the remainder of the hole.
- Water again by placing hose 4” deep into the planting mix. Run hose at a slow trickle until saturated.
- Leave an earth saucer around the stem to collect water.